Check here for CMTN updates on the COVID-19 situation including news releases, resources and FAQs.
COVID-19 post-secondary guidance
Last update: May 5, 2022
B.C.’s post-secondary institutions (PSI) have successfully resumed on-campus teaching, learning and research by following the COVID-19 Return-to-Campus Guidelines and their own communicable disease plans. With a successful return completed, the Return-to-Campus Guidelines were retired April 25, 2022.
The BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) Post-Secondary Public Health Guidance document [PDF] will continue to provide information for post-secondary institutions. This document was developed with input from a team of experts from B.C.’s post-secondary sector, the Office of the Provincial Health Officer and regional health authorities.
The Ministry continues to work in partnership with institutions, the BCCDC, the Office of the Provincial Health Officer, regional health authorities and experts from B.C.'s post-secondary sector to support the continued delivery of on-campus activities.
COVID-19 update: Masks recommended, but optional in Coast Mountain College’s public indoor spaces
March 14, 2022
Late in the afternoon on Friday March 11th, AEST provided further clarification regarding the BC Provincial Health Officer’s Public Health Order requiring masks to be worn in public indoor spaces until Friday March 11th. You can read more here
The CMTN COVID-19 Working Group also met this morning to discuss B.C.’s dropping of the mask mandate. As such, Coast Mountain College will end the mask mandate as of noon today, March 14th, 2022. Please note:
- Masks are no longer mandatory in classrooms or in campus common areas.
- We ask that you keep the health of our Elders in mind, and ensure that you are vaccinated and masked before entering the Elders office.
- We recognize that the comfort levels of individuals will vary with respect to the lifting of these restrictions. Please continue to be kind and respectful.
- Employees are welcome to continue to wear a mask while on campus.
We urge all members of our community to receive their COVID-19 vaccine booster dose and we would also like to thank our students and staff for their ongoing commitment and support.
On March 10, 2022, the Provincial Health Officer announced changes to public health orders:
Lifting of BC’s indoor face coverings order:
- Given the high rate of vaccination in British Columbia, effective March 11, 2022, public health no longer requires face coverings in indoor public settings.
- Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to be respectful of individual choices concerning masks based on each person’s comfort.
Indoor common area mask requirements for employees as part of the Workplace Safety Order are no longer required.
Removal of proof of vaccination requirements:
- Effective April 8, 2022, proof of vaccination will no longer be required:
- To access events and services; and,
- For post-secondary student housing.
NOTE: Public health measures and restrictions may be reintroduced depending on the evolving COVID-19 situation.
Thank you for the important role you play in supporting the provincial COVID-19 response. Please share this update broadly within the college.